Made it to Waterloo in Denison Saturday afternoon. Fished the late afternoon/early evening bite and managed to limit out after getting a fishing tip from one of our Readers and good friend – Merovingian!
Started with a Tandem Rigged Olive Near Deere and trailing GRHEN. Had some light strikes and misses, and then changed to a Black Near Deere when Merovingian gave us the heads up that the trout were going for Black Wooley Buggers.
In short order, had a trout on the line using a 6-12 count to sink the fishing fly, and then a 6 count retrieve using long pulls. Bite was light and setting the hook at any movement or hesitation in the line was the key to hook ups… good practice for Beavers Bend and the Lower Mountain Fork!
Did lose the one Black Near Deere in the fly box but luckily, they were hitting a Purple Near Deere as well. Also, the trout seemed to be more active as the afternoon edged into the early evening with hook ups happening at the pull of the line.
Overall, a great time despite the cold temps and made better fishing with another avid fisherman and friend. Thanks again Merovingian for finding the pattern!
Log Book Entry: 1/7/17
- Location: Waterloo Park Pond (Denison)
- Time: 15:30 – 17:30
- Weax: Clear, Sweaters and Coat, Windy
- Rod: Redington Classic Trout 5wt – 9′
- Reel: Echo Ion 4/5 – 6wt Flyline
- Light strikes using a tandem rig Olive Near Deere & GRHEN.
- Tried a strike indicator, more light strikes, and no hook ups.
- Fished east end of pond, then worked north and south. More light strikes.
- Tried a trailing PMC Emerger as well as a Griffith’s Gnat without success.
- Met Merovingian about 5″ after arriving at the pond; had hits on different patterns but locked on to the Black Wooley Bugger.
- Followed afterwards by tying a Black Near Deere, and started catching trout. Used the 6-12 count delayed retrieve, then retrieved at a 6 count long pull.
- Did lose the Black Near Deere; luckily, the trout were going for the Purple Near Deere.
- 7 Rainbow Trout – 10″-13″ – Black Near Deere – Sz 10 at 1/124oz
- 1 Rainbow Trout – 10″-13″ – Purple Near Deere – Sz 10 at 1/124oz