Fun time fishing Bethany Lakes yesterday morning. Caught four Catfish using bread for bait. Below is the video of the action; added some details on how we rigged our fishing rod, chummed the area, and baited our hooks. Gotta love a simple grocery store bait like bread… even better, if the fish aren’t biting and you get hungry, just have a slice or two!
Log Book Entry: 1/16/17
- Location: Bethany Lakes – Main Pond (Allen)
- Time: 10:30 – 12:00
- Weax: Clear, “Hoodie Jacket”, Calm
- Rod: Berkley Lightning Rod Medium Light – 6’6″
- Reel: Pinnacle Tiny Dead Bolt DUL20 – 4lbs Test Trout Magnet SOS Mono (later added shock leader)
- Catfish were readily biting at first but bite slowed down after about 30″. Had chummed the area near the “pavilion tree” with bread.
- Used 7/0 Mustad circle hooks – same one used for jug-lining last year on Lake Lavon.
- Free-lined the bread with an open bale and allowed the fish to pick-up and run with the bait, closing the bale and setting the hook after the brief pause that usually happened – ie. pick-up, run, pause, then run again.
- Later, a group showed up and fed the ducks; bite slowed soon after. Another group showed and also fed the ducks; bite stayed slow.
- After several more misses and the slow down in the action, called it a trip and headed home.
- 1 Catfish – 18″-20″ – Bread – 7/0 Mustad Circle Hook
- 1 Catfish – 16″ – Bread – 7/0 Mustad Circle Hook
- 1 Catfish – 14″ – Bread – 7/0 Mustad Circle Hook
- 1 Catfish – 20+” – Bread – 7/0 Mustad Circle Hook