Fished the Lower Pond at Bethany Lakes this evening. Caught a Bluegill, several Bass, and missed several more. Bummer on losing the Foam Grasshopper to a Bass. Was able to switch to a dry fly we use as a strike indicator for those picky trout and caught several Bass! Will definitely tie more Foam Grasshopper and give it another go on the local ponds!
Log Book Entry: 3/14/17
- Location: Bethany Lakes – Lower Pond (Allen)
- Time: 18:00 – 19:00
- Weax: Clear, “Sweater”, Calm
- Rod: Cabelas TLR 4wt – 7’6″
- Reel: Ross Flystart 1 – 5wt Flyline
- Started with the Foam Grasshopper on 4lbs test. Caught a Bluegill and a Bass and lots of missed hook sets in between.
- Then, had a nice fish – suspect it was a Bass, go for the Grasshopper but throw the fly shortly after the strike.
- Soon after a nice sized Bass takes the Grasshopper but the line breaks. Noticed that 4lbs test will break quickly when larger Bass are hooked in the mouth instead of the lips.
- No more Grasshoppers but was able to use a Back Up Dry Fly… an indicator fishing fly we use for trout. It’s tied on a size 10 hook.
- 1 Bluegill – 6″ – White Foam Grasshopper – Sz 14
- 1 Bass – 11″ – White Foam Grasshopper – Sz 14
- 4 Bass – 12″-14″ – Dry Fly Indicator Fly – sz 10 (aka Patriot Fly)